This bright, lemony salad is best made with farm-fresh asparagus, which is dressed and eaten raw here. Look for stalks that are bright green with firm, tight tips. Buy it in season from your local farmer’s market.
1 pound fresh asparagus
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon shaved Parmesan
8 fresh chives
- Break off the tough ends of the asparagus and discard.
- Use a vegetable peeler to make long thin ribbons of asparagus. Add to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper. Drizzle over the asparagus ribbons and toss well.
- Use the vegetable peeler to shave thin strips from a piece of fresh Parmesan (about 1 tablespoon) and scatter over the salad.
- Use kitchen shears to cut the chives into small pieces directly over the salad.
Nutritional information (per serving)
Makes 4 servings
Total fat: 4 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Trans fat: 0 g
Protein: 4 g
Total carbohydrate: 7 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 2 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 95 mg
— Developed by Sara Quessenberry for Cleveland Clinic Wellness.